Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 10: Last Trip Day

Today was an early morning. I woke up at 6:30 and jumped in the shower. I told Chris to wake up and get ready, because we were leaving in 20 minutes for the airport. He had to be there between 7 and 730 to make the flight. We had argued about this: he said he didn't have to be an hour early, both the ticket and myself thought he should.

I got out of the shower and dressed at 6:45. Chris was still in bed. I was obviously not impressed.

We finally get out of the hotel around 7am, when we should have been to the airport. It's about a 5 minute drive though, so at this point, I wasn't too worried.

Chris, who is never in a hurry for anything, decided to take his time and take the garbage out of my car before we left. By the time we got to the airport, it was 7:21 and I missed the turn for parking. I turned around and got parked at around 7:24.

We got inside and fought with the Kiosk to print his ticket for a long time. I had already checked him in online the night before, so all we had to do was print it. That took forever and finally we had to go to an agent for help. When we finally got there, she told us we were took late. She could see us at the kiosk struggling from where she was sitting, she obviously knew we were frustrated, and instead of helping us print the ticket, she lectured us about being late (I think it was 7:32 when we got to her, two minutes after we should have given her the printed ticket but we had been at the kiosk trying to print it). She told us we were too late and would have to take the next flight, as well as pay an additional $150.

We went to the lady who was helping us get our new ticket for Chris. She asked how many items he would be checking and he said none. It was 7:37 at this point and boarding time for the plane was at 7:40. She gave the lady who did not help us make the flight a disgusted look. She said, "You only have that one carry on?" we said yes. She could see that we had already checked in but just needed the ticket printed. She shot the first lady another dirty stare. "You know what," she said, determined, "You are getting on this flight." She quickly closed up her station. "I'm going to rush you through security, say your good-byes." Chris and I kissed each other in the airport quickly and I muttered an "I love you" through tears. I watched Chris and the lovely Air Canada lady run through the airport and to the front of the security line until I could no longer see him anymore.

I think this goodbye was good. I cried a little bit, but it all happened so fast that I didn't really have time to be sad and cry. Before I knew it, he was gone.

I headed back to my car. We had parked in such a hurry that I had forgotten where I had parked my car. When I finally found it, I got out all my maps of Edmonton and Alberta. My GPS had died the day before, so I was on my own.

After getting more than a little lost, I made it through Edmonton and on to the 16 until I found the 43 and headed North. For the longest time, a yellow hummer and I were playing cat and mouse on the highway. Ironically, I stopped for a rest the same time he did, and when waiting inside to pay for my snack he said hello. "Where are you headed," he kindly asked. I told him La Crete, and that I had travelled from Ontario. He said, "I know, I saw your plates. They brought brought back memories," he said and smiled. I smiled back at him and we both went off to our separate cars. Just as I turned my car back on and was about to pull out, I see him briskly walking toward my car, smiling.

"Would you like to have lunch," he asked. I smiled, happy to have some company. Though I didn't want to stop driving, I was really tired and after the emotional morning with Chris leaving, I could use a rest. And a friend.

We had a lovely meal talking about Alberta and Ontario and making light conversation before we both left heading in opposite directions.

I made it all the way to the La Crete ferry in good time; however, the La Crete ferry is possibly the smallest ferry ever. Some of the boats that go by mom and dads on the canal are likely bigger than this ferry. So I had to wait my turn . . . for an hour and a half.

I was supposed to call Abe and Martha when I got to La Crete. Well, I got here and guess what: no cell phone service. Great. So I finally pulled in to a small gas station and called Abe who came to pick me up.

Abe and Martha have a beautiful how that sits high on this flat, Albertian land. It's white with green trim. As we drove toward it, I thought: wouldn't it beawesome if it was that big house? And guess what, it was!

Abe showed me my apartment and then invited me into his house for a cold drink and to chat. Luckily, he's a mechanic, so he said he'll give my car a look. Abe and Martha are really nice people and have given me lots of advice and help in getting me settled.

After I quick call to mom and Chris to let them know I was alive, I headed out to get groceries. It was 9pm and the sun was still shinning strong and bright. I just picked up the necessities, some fruits and veggies, a little meat, cereal, milk, a few soups and pastas. My bill was 99 dollars and change. Things are so expensive here. What I had bought I could have got for at least 20 dollars cheaper back home, likely even more cheaper!

I brought in my groceries and started unpacking my car. It was about 10:30 and the sun was just starting to go down, but it was still quite bright out. by 11pm, the sky was orange and the sun was setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment