Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

First Impressions

Despite the advice and warnings I have received about La Crete, it really is a great place. Everyone I have met has been very kind and more than helpful. I would be lost without my co-worker, Lisa! Who, to my surprise, is also a Mennonite. Who knew not all Mennonites wore dresses? I am learning so much and having so much fun learning a new culture and part of Canada.

Today I went to pick up some office supplies, which is not quite as easy as you may think. There is such thing as my beloved Staples out here, and what we know and love as the Source is more like their Staples here. Well, it’s their Staples, Source, and Telus phone store ... all in one.

Today was my second full day as a reporter in La Crete. Yesterday I wrote a bio on myself and covered a small event. Today, I did some more interviews and finished a story about the new doctor in town. Apparently, he is the first permanent doctor for La Crete. I’m glad he arrived just before I did!

It’s still hard to get used to it being light outside until after 11pm and panicking that I’ve slept in when I wake up at 7am to a bright, mid-day sun.
I have a few more interviews set up for tomorrow, and then this week my deadline is Saturday at 5pm. If the weather is nice, I may go to Fort Vermilion to the beach for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment