Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Just my luck.

Just my luck.

Last week I thought to myself, “It would really be unfortunate if something were to happen to my car just before I needed to drive to Alberta,” and on Thursday, just that happened.

I was parked on the curb and my boyfriend and I had just got back into the car and were about to back away. We saw the van in front of us turn on his reverse lights and thought that was sort of strange, as he had tons of room to just drive off forward. And before I could even put the key in my car or hit the horn, his van was planted on the top of my hood.

Idiot.
Ever think to check your blind spots?

The first thing I thought of was the advice from my parents if I were to ever get in an accident, “Never say it was your fault,” but of course in this case, it definitely was not my fault, because if you need to fight it you will have no case after admitting you were wrong.

I leap out of my car, obviously very unimpressed and not in the mood for making friends, and asked for his information.

“I don’t have to give it to you,” he said. “We don’t have to go through insurance.”

Obviously, I was not in the mood to argue.

He started to apologize. He said, “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you,” to which I replied, Panicking, he said, “I was talking to my mom.” I just let him continue to admit he was in the wrong.

I didn’t know what to do. I had never been in an accident and this guy obviously did not want to go through insurance. All I wanted was a hood that wasn’t crunched up like a scared cat’s back.

I called my mom, and of course my cell phone died partway through the call. I got the guy’s information and he agreed to fix my car in the morning, before I headed East to mom and dads.

When I called him in the morning, his attitude had definitely changed. He thought it proper to lecture me on the accident; the accident that was his fault. Once again, I wasn’t in the mood for communication, because I knew if I started to try to explain how him backing into me wasn’t my fault, I would just get upset and perhaps lose my temper. So I just sat there, for 10 whole minutes, letting him explain to me in a hundred different ways how I was wrong and he was right. Sitting in silence, just looking directly into his eyes, which was obviously making him uneasy.

To make matters worse, he tried hitting on me. And before I drove away, he gave me his number. Sorry, but hitting someone’s car, isn’t exactly the best pickup line.

All in all, I have a new hood and an interesting story to tell. The hood’s not as pretty and shiny as my old one, though. Now my beautiful car is just a little less beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment